We’ve been busy bees! Haven’t posted in a while, but now have tons of progress to show! In fact, all this progress making is why I haven’t posted. Also, because I’ve been writing.
First up: the kitchen. Now, I loved the kitchen as it was. But even in the most loving kitchen-homeowner relationships, there is room for improvement. We have to keep growing together!
So, I wrote about this process for my column on BrickUnderground.com. But here are a few more pics of the process. Enjoy!
First up, some inspirational pics:
Then the work started. Please check out the post on Brick, if you’d like a bit more detail on the step-by-step process!
Oh, before that. We had to toss out the baseboard by the stove so the backsplash could continue down to the floor. Look what we found wedged behind it:
It’s a bit of old newspaper, which disintegrated pretty much as soon as I tried to unravel it. The only bit of writing I could make out was “Navy” and “Begin” and “Draft”. Wowza.
This just goes to show: even then, builders relied heavily on the “Wadded Up Piece of Paper That Nobody Will See Anyway” method of getting sh** done.
So anyway, after we tossed that bit of baseboard out, we assembled our tools and matrials: ply wood boards, PowerGrab, 3″ screws, Ceramic Tile adhesive, sanded grout in ‘Pewter’, and the Tile!
The work took about a weekend to finish, including wait times. (Tile adhesive needs to cure before the grout goes on)
This is a rough picture tutorial, to give an idea of the work involved. Check out the How to on Brick!
And here we go!